The building that houses RAI TEI was originally established in central Kamakurayama in 1928 as part of Japan’s first resort cottage subdivision. After that, the building was used as a private resort cottage, and then in 1969 the owner of the cottage converted it into a restaurant serving buckwheat noodles and traditional Japanese cuisine.
The main building was built during the Edo Period, but was relocated in 1929 to the site that served as the former residence for the Inokuma family, wealthy farmers of Totsuka, Yokohama City. The feeling of the period if reflected in the fittings, such as the first stained glass windows fired in Japan used on the second floor and a foreign chandelier made at the beginning of the Meiji Period. In 2003, the restaurant was designated as an important scenic building of Kamakura City.
The gate that forms the entrance to RAI TEI was the temple gate of the historic Juen-zan Koshou-ji Temple in Kamakura’s Nishi-mikado area (erected in 1642), but when this temple was relocated to Miyagi prefecture in 1931, Sam-mon temple gate was reconstructed at a present location.
The Japanese circuit-style garden covers approximately 50 thousand square meters, and contains a number of stone Buddhist images and pagodas collected from various locations, including Juroku Rakan (16 stone statues consoling the souls of people who have died from prolonged starvation) and Hakkaku-dou, comprised of the Gojyu-no Tou (Five-story Pagoda) and Horyu-ji Temple’s Yumedono (Hall of Dreams). Enjoy the plum trees, bamboo groves and seasonal flowers and grasses while strolling around the precincts.
Also located within the garden grounds is the Getsu-an Tea Arbor available for general use and the Ro-an Tea Room. The view of the Mt. Fuji-Hakone mountain range from these buildings is surreal. Enjoy a relaxing time at RAI TEI, offering you seasonal scenes to be treasured.
The "San-mon" Temple Gate and The main building were designated as a registered tangible cultural property of Japan on December 24, 2013.
* Wi-Fi is availavle in the main building since June 2014.Please ask for a password to connect.
The second floor of the main building
Three Japanese-style rooms
A capacity is 45 persons from two persons.
The first floor of the main building
The table and the chair were made from the tree of the pine of the yard.
A capacity is 68 persons.
|ROAN (Japanese sweets house)|